Those who want to successfully stream on Twitch nowadays no longer just have to use XSplit or OBS. No, meanwhile, a lot has changed in the streaming culture and the insider platform for gamers has been rather a commercial streaming portal with the main goal to entertain and inspire people. But the commercial aspect is not only negative, it allows streamers to deliver more performance, and with this providing viewers a better entertainment. With the broad mass of streamers, therefore, the question arises “How will I succeed on Twitch?” And that is exactly what this article will be about. Here is an overview of all the important factors of a successful stream. For the individual factors there is in each case an additional and more detailed article – please take the time to read this individual article in peace and learn from my experiences of the past years.
The following factors lead in my opinion to a successful stream:
- Personal setting: In addition to the most obvious success factors, personal attitude that’s often referred to as “mindset” is often neglected. There will always be times, especially at the beginning, which make you doubt whether streaming is the right thing for you or not. Good self-reflection and strong enforcement should be in place to maintain the goals even in difficult situations.
- Stream planning: There’s more behind the stream than just what the viewers see. Without marketing and a concept, a stream is rarely successful and profitable. That is why it’s essential to develop there and not only to restrict itself to the streaming itself.
- Technical requirements: If these are not fulfilled, you can leave streaming directly. A good gaming PC, however, is often enough to stream in FullHD and 30FPS without stutter. Mostly there is a lack of Internet bandwidth and upload; these should be at least 2 Mbit. More is of course always better. Furthermore, if possible, a cam should be available and a better microphone than the 08/15 microphones of most headsets. This additional hardware can also be upgraded with time.
- Playful possibilities: The ones who doesn’t have good numbers or only play on average should surely consider before, whether it is worth at all starting with the streaming, because who would like to look at a stream that constantly fails? From a psychological point of view, therefore, if you are among the best 1-5% of all players, your audience doesn’t only watch for entertainment, but also learns. This does not rule out the fact that a bad streamer can not necessarily be successful, but it will have to be more difficult and convincing in a different way.
- Interaction with the audience: Through an intensive interaction with the audience, an emotional bond can be established, so that a community is formed around the streamer who is willing to support you through donations or other help. Often, they also create moderators, which will help you take a little more of your hands and manage chat during the stream.
- The special thing: Who only provides average entertainment will also only generate average numbers. This is why it is important to distinguish from the masses by means of special features and draw additional attention. This can be generated, for example, in the form of playful skills, special humor or entertaining challenges. The motto is: the more exotic it is, the more successful it can be. A good example of this is Nicktron.
- Have fun!: No, I don’t mean that. Many are of the opinion that one should always have fun in order to be successful. However, in my experience, there are always phases that can crush where the expectations are not fulfilled and which ultimately lead to a last stream. In these situations, you should spend more time in the stream, even if it’s not doing well to return better. After all, it’s impossible to have lasting fun to achieve a goal.
The listed factors should be thought through by every streamer and I’m also aware that not every factor is always 100% consistent. Nevertheless, these are for me the most important factors, all which will bring nothing if you don’t start streaming. Whoever manages to integrate a stream into his daily routine, makes it a routine and then deliberately follows a plan that will be successful in the long term. Of course there are a lot of other factors involved. I would like to mention some of them, but I would like to go on to the next article: choice of the game, choice of language, social media, stream times, target group, lotteries, contacts, networks, promotions, additional programs.